Car battery

Support forum for the Lambda Shield designed to connect Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband oxygen sensors to Arduino projects.
Racinggreen

Car battery

Post by Racinggreen » 08 Jun 2023 00:41

Hi Christian,

i plan to use the lambda shield in my old car to measure the air/fuel ratio for adjusting my carburetors.

My question is now can i attach the board directly to the car battery? And is there something i have to take care of?

Cheers

Christian_Bylund

Re: Car battery

Post by Christian_Bylund » 08 Jun 2023 21:43

Racinggreen wrote:
08 Jun 2023 00:41
Hi Christian,

i plan to use the lambda shield in my old car to measure the air/fuel ratio for adjusting my carburetors.

My question is now can i attach the board directly to the car battery? And is there something i have to take care of?

Cheers
Hello,

No problem, just connect the battery to the lambda shield, use the X7 jumper to also power the Arduino from the shield.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB

Racinggreen

Re: Car battery

Post by Racinggreen » 09 Jun 2023 16:33

Hi Christian,

thank you for your fast response I have following questions:

1. I can‘t see any fuse, EMI filtering or transient voltage suppression in your circuit aren‘t these features which might needed to get integrated for safe operating?

2. Since I have a twin carburetor and two exhaust pipes where one pipe is covering 3 cylinders each outcoming of the manifold I want to use two shields. Since two shields mean higher current draw do you think this is ok for the car battery?

3. As far as I understand there is a calibration needed before the sensor can work? How do I deal with it, can I start the motor right away or should I start first the lambda shields and wait to then start the motor? I‘m asking because when I start the motor and the lambda shields are cold I will still have a combustion happening which results in exhaust gases, will these disturb the calibration?

Looking forward to your answers.