Fails to run on Arduino Uno

Support forum for the Lambda Shield designed to connect Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband oxygen sensors to Arduino projects.
sebw2341

Fails to run on Arduino Uno

Post by sebw2341 » 28 Sep 2021 06:33

I have the lambda shield and trying to get the code to function on an Arduino Uno. I'm currently trying the code on some of my clone boards and will try it on the WiFi board I bought (tried the WiFi code originally and it work) but trying the gui code on any Uno's doesn't seem to work.

It loads up shows the logo goes to the reading screen after 5 seconds it crashes.

I have independent power supplies the Arduino has a current limit of 1a which when carrying out readings it never reached and the lambda shield is only limited by voltage to 12v. Originally I had them both hooked up to a 1a supply but it crashed then because it couldn't draw enough but now even with independent supplies it crashes.

However, when I run it on a mega (only reason I can't use the mega is because it's to big for my box) it works fine no issues with crashing. This is a clone mega and from the same company as one of my clone Uno's when checking the power circuit was the same.

Any ideas what's going on?
I will also try my official Uno board later see if it's having the same trouble. Struggling to get it to upload last night.

Christian_Bylund

Re: Fails to run on Arduino Uno

Post by Christian_Bylund » 28 Sep 2021 07:57

Hello.

Could you please share a picture of your setup to see what is connected where, you mention that you have a display connected for example. Does the GUI code work without anything but the shield connected?

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB

sebw2341

Post by sebw2341 » 28 Sep 2021 19:54

It appears it was an issue with the additions to the code I made I went back uploaded the original gui code again and it appears to run fine and is working on all 3 unos.

It's a bit strange that it has such a varying effect on all the boards. the mega it works, seeeduino board fails once it reaches the loop, clone uno completely crashes and official wifi board crashes once reset then works all with the same code. I'm pretty sure the pin definitions for the code additions were all unpopulated I will have to double check the schematic.

This is my setup https://ibb.co/RzshJYk small pcb regulates current to the lambda shield so if there are any high voltage spikes it will sacrifice the £2 pcb instead middle PCB does the same but limits the current as well to the arduino. That's one of the initial issues I was having I was powering them both from the same supply. but they would hit the limit of the power supply and crash. It was also making the Arduinos regulator very hot very quickly. Even with the supplies separate the normal arduinos seem to be getting quite hot the current regulator is showing up to 0.4A going into it sitting at around 0.25A. Does it do that constantly or is it just while its getting hot on the exhaust? Anyway for now I have a high current clone that is designed for operating a lot of steppers and can handle up to 2A.
Last edited by Christian_Bylund on 29 Sep 2021 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added image.

Christian_Bylund

Post by Christian_Bylund » 29 Sep 2021 02:02

sebw2341 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 19:54
It appears it was an issue with the additions to the code I made I went back uploaded the original gui code again and it appears to run fine and is working on all 3 unos.
Great you found the problem. Check your code for memory use and access of shared peripheral, this is typically the cause for crashes.
Christian_Bylund wrote:
28 Sep 2021 07:57
Does it do that constantly or is it just while its getting hot on the exhaust? Anyway for now I have a high current clone that is designed for operating a lot of steppers and can handle up to 2A.
The nominal consumption for the heater of the oxygen sensor is 1A @ 12V.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB