NOx Shield Introduction.

Support forum for the NOx Shield for Arduino.
Christian_Bylund

NOx Shield Introduction.

Post by Christian_Bylund » 29 Jan 2021 12:57

We are happy to present the NOx Shield, designed specifically for the Arduino® Uno, Mega 2560 and Uno WiFi Rev 2.

The purpose of this device is to give students, hobbyists and professionals the possibility to learn how to implement a high-resolution wideband oxygen and nitrogen oxides (O2 NOx) sensor in their products or projects. Adding accurate data, such as the content of nitrogen oxides in a closed loop control environment will assist in developing more efficient and environmentally friendly combustion-based solutions. Watch the introduction video on YouTube.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB

DonP

Re: NOx Shield Introduction.

Post by DonP » 09 Feb 2021 10:30

Hi Christian,

Out of curiosity: could you briefly explain what the main use cases for this sensor would be? Is it diesel engines?

Many thanks!

BR,
Pascal

Christian_Bylund

Re: NOx Shield Introduction.

Post by Christian_Bylund » 13 Feb 2021 10:00

DonP wrote:
09 Feb 2021 10:30
Out of curiosity: could you briefly explain what the main use cases for this sensor would be? Is it diesel engines?
Hello Pascal, great question!
In the automotive diesel world as you can see in the example of Bosch Denoxtronic, it is used to measure the NOx level before the SCR catalytic converter to adjust AdBlue. It is then again measuring the result to verify that the process meet regulatory requirements. In this case the NOx Shield for Arduino can be used in workshops to diagnose sensors and emission controls.

Another area where I hope the NOx Shield will also be useful, is the process of burning solid fuels or biomass. For example to generate heat or electricity in rural areas. A typical home heating system generate around 100 ppm of NOx. As the NOx sensor is also a wideband oxygen sensor it perfectly suited as one of the factors of NOx levels is the amount of oxygen.

The final area is in the field of research and development, Arduino is a great ecosystem for this purpose. I hope that with this device, students, engineers and scientists can work on solid fuel combustion without spending valuable research budgets on expensive equipment. There is a great need of solid fuels and hopefully we can find ways to produce them more environmentally friendly at a low cost using automotive sensor technologies.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to see the results of using the NOx Shield for Arduino.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB

tonyrobinson

Re: NOx Shield Power Supply.

Post by tonyrobinson » 13 Mar 2024 02:11

Hello Christian

I am new to using Nox Shield with Arduino board. I have an Arduino UNO R3 Set board. I have watched your instruction video many times I can see how you connect the wires from the Nox Sensor to the Nox Shield board, I am using a Bosch EGS-NX Sensor 24V but will be using it on cars. The problem I have is during the video you connect the USB connection to the Arduino Board and then the barrel power supply to the Nox shield Board. I need to know what power supply you are connecting to the Nox shield board, voltage and is it Positive centre pin and what size is the pin ?.

Regards

Tony Robinson