Sensor inserted in vacuum chamber

Support forum for the Lambda Shield designed to connect Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband oxygen sensors to Arduino projects.
mquilesg

Sensor inserted in vacuum chamber

Post by mquilesg » 19 Sep 2020 11:19

Would it be possible to simulate the operation of the probe, without being inserted in the exhaust? For example, inserting it into a vacuum chamber in which the air pressure and therefore the amount of oxygen can be reduced.

Christian_Bylund

Re: Sensor inserted in vacuum chamber

Post by Christian_Bylund » 19 Sep 2020 13:15

Hello mquilesg,

I translated your title, note that this is an English only forum.

Perhaps you could bring some background to your question?

In the Y 258 E00 015e - Technical Product Information of the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor they state the following condition in section 5.3:
When used in a stoichiometric (λ = 1) or rich gas (λ < 1), e.g. measurement gas in the test bench, it must be assured, that enough O2 donators are available in the gas to allow the pumping cell to work. Otherwise the ZrO2 ceramic of the sensor can be reduced and the sensor destroyed. The O2 donator may be free oxygen (non-equilibrium measurement gas), H2O or CO2.
I've had plans to mix CO2 and O2 to test different mixtures but have not yet had the chance.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB

mquilesg

Post by mquilesg » 22 Sep 2020 20:21

My intention is to use your lambda shield to check lambda probes, without being connected to the exhaust manifold. To do this, I have thought of building a closed cylinder where the air is extracted with the help of a vacuum pump. As the measurement chamber measures the oxygen content, I think that by decreasing the amount of air, the lambda probe will be able to detect the variation of the lambda value.

Christian_Bylund

Post by Christian_Bylund » 24 Sep 2020 21:41

I did a quick experiment tonight with CO2. I went from 21% oxygen down to 0% by letting carbonated water decarbonate while measuring the process with the oxygen sensor.
Best Regards,
Christian Bylund
Bylund Automotive AB